Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's January 7, 2009 already and I thought it was about time to write down my thoughts for the New Year. I've had 7 days to contemplate and reflect about what is important to me. God keeps impressing upon me this year to be the faithful servant to my Lord, the faithful wife to my husband, the faithful mother to all my children (even if they're grown) and a faithful daughter, sister and friend to those in my life.
I fail at all these things so often; you might as well put a big "L" on my forehead and be done with it. When God brings that one by my path to speak to, I keep my mouth shut. I cannot even keep up with my husband's laundry. I find myself doing and saying the very things I don't want my children repeating and having attitudes that don't reflect the One that is in me. I should call my mother more often and spend time with her, but my stubbornness and anger keep me from doing so. Being a sister and a friend to those in my life may cause me pain at times if I'm a faithful friend, but so often I am a people-pleaser instead of seeking to please God and bring my friends onto higher ground. The big "L" on my forehead belongs there for sure. But thankfully God has also been reminding me that I need Him in all these relationships. If I look to Him and not all the circumstances surrounding me, I can be faithful Recently, I've read the account of Peter walking on the water. Peter walked on the water and did not begin to sink until he took his eyes off the Lord and onto the circumstances (for Peter it was the wind). For me it's fear of what others will think, or just giving into my natural habit of being a human, forgetting Who actually lives in me! My desire this year is to reflect the One who lives in me to others! May they see something different in me this year. Many know I have been a Christian for years, but this year I want many close to me see that I am different from the past year!!! God is ABLE to take that big "L" off my forehead - He's the ONLY ONE!!!

1 comment:

Dina said...

I just heard a song on the radio that said, "He has made us worthy, so walk worthy". All of those things you mentioned really resonate with me. I want to focus on the priorities in my life (yes, unfortunately as the housekeeper that means laundry!) instead of filling my time up with minor distractions that pull me away in a major way!

Josh found a great George Mueller quote recently that said the key to living such a life was to awake each day having no will of your own, nothing but to do His will. If you can do that, he said, the battle is 97% won. That's my new prayer every morning. Today my will and way and plans and desires do not matter. What God has and wants for me takes precedence. That will usually take the form of household duties and even seeing what movie my husband wants to see instead of griping how we always see what he wants to see! ;o)