Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Eliana Grace

I can still remember the day that Dina shared the news that she was "with child". She was home in St. Louis from Ottawa to celebrate the graduation of her younger sister, Dara. She gave me a gift and a card - I don't specifically remember what the card said, but it alluded to the fact that I would be a grandma. When I finally "got it" - it takes me awhile - I remember screaming like a crazy lady in the kitchen. Nothing could have made me happier! The thought that my own daughter was going to have a child of her own overwhelmed me. The baby would be due in January of 2002; already I was making my plans to be there for her birth.
In the coming months, we would see Dina a few more times; once for a baby shower and once for Thanksgiving (we had never been apart as a family for Thanksgiving so we all made the journey).
I had been saving quarters for my grandchild's baby bed so I can bearing that gift (about $60). What wild and bizarre things grandmothers do for the ones they love!
We did not see Josh and Dina for Christmas that year, so we patiently awaited news to "head north" fast! And this new little one decided to come early. My mother's husband was in the hospital with lung cancer and all the family was there awaiting Harry's imminent death. I knew Dina was in labor at this same time. I had received a call earlier. It was a difficult time - instead of watching my granddaughter enter the world, I was in a hospital room observing not a birth but a death.
But joy of all joys occurred that next day - ELIANA GRACE DINAKARAN had arrived!!! I was so thrilled when I heard she was a little girl. I began calling anyone I remotely knew! I was so proud!!!
Plans were made to leave for Ottawa directly after the funeral of Harry. A dear friend at the time, Gus Dodorico, had offered to drive me there. Off we went, Aunt Deborah and Grandma, to see Eliana. Excited to say the least, I received another phone call from Dina that next afternoon that Eliana possibly had a virus of some sort and was admitted into the hospital. The next few hours in the car were difficult. I went into worry mode! But once there, Deborah and I ran into the hospital to see Eliana.
She was precious beyond words. So perfect - so beautiful! One of my best memories of this time is to see little Deborah (10 at the time) hold Eliana. That picture is imbedded in my mind. And the other is the memory of holding my granddaughter for the first time - nothing could have been better.
Eliana was in the hospital for a few days (as best as my memory serves me), but for the next three weeks, Deborah and I would try to spend as much time possible with her. Although, I must say for Deborah, to be by Dina was Deborah's ultimate desire. Deborah worshipped her sister! I remember this visit, and subsequent visits for the birth of Dina's other children, with sweet memories as well as the thought that always nagged at me - I must go home at some point and leave the ones that I love behind. We had such fun together, whether it was watching a movie on Dina and Josh's bed or playing cards with Josh - trying to beat him at rummy. (A sidenote here - Josh always made us feel welcome; he never made us feel like we were intruding.:) But there came that day that we would have to return to our life in St. Louis.
I remember one evening in particular going into Eliana's room, picking her up and just rocking her back and forth. I remember these words "I love you Eliana; I will miss you but I promise to pray for you every day." Tears flowed while I held her (as they are now), but I knew that this young lady would become very special to me! And that she is today!!!!
I had a wonderful, loving grandmother in my past, Grandma Wing! She listened to me, talked with me, took me everywhere with her, boasted about me, etc. And I carry on that tradition today to the best of my ability! Even though we are far apart in distance, I feel we have a very special relationship! Eliana Grace - this is your day!!! Thank you for letting me be a part of your life; and thank you Josh and Dina for allowing me to barge in on your life as much as you do. Thank you both for giving me one of the joys of my life - ELIANA GRACE DINAKARAN!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ELIANA!!!!!!!!!! The smartest, prettiest and sweetest 7 year old that I know:)
Love you sooooooooooo much,
Grandma (and Mom)

1 comment:

Dina said...

It's fun to read about your memories! I had forgotten about the bed and your quarters. Keep 'em coming!