Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's November 25th, 2008. 29 years ago, I gave birth to a beautiful 7 lb. 15 oz. baby girl - our second child, Dina Nicole Starr. I couldn't have been happier. Already a mother to 3 1/2 year old, Daniele Christine, I had wanted to have another child for quite awhile and this was the day! I awoke early in the morning and knew it was time to go to the hospital. Dick and I jumped into the car anticipating our child's soon arrival. But labor was slow; very slow! I remember it was deer season and football season - how's a girl to compete with that! My obstetrician was deer hunting and my sports fanatic of a husband was watching football. I was only in the midst of labor - no big deal. Dina wasn't due for 10 more days, and she was taking her time about entering the world.

The decision to induce labor was made. Shortly thereafter, my husband's game was interrupted and my obstetrician arrived on the scene in his plaid flannel shirt just in time to bring our long awaited miracle into this world. Ecstatic to say the least, I was so blessed to be a mother again. The next few weeks were heavenly. Having a newborn is one of my greatest joys. But big decisions loomed on the horizon; mainly, was I going to be a stay-at-home mom or continue in pursuit of my career of which there were great opportunities to be had. What to do; what to do?

As the time approached for me to return to work, I knew in my heart that I could not leave this little girl that I held in my arms. I couldn't fathom entrusting her to the care of another. Still, I faced a dilemma. In the professional world, I would probably receive accolades and praise for my achievements. How often would I be praised and viewed as successful by my peers for just "raising my children". Fortunately, Someone had a plan for me! In January of '79, the same year Dina was born, I had accepted Christ as my Savior. During my pregnancy, I believe God was changing my heart. My priorities in life began to change. No longer did I desire to focus on my career or lack thereof. I was being directed into my new career path - being a happy mother of children!

In January of 1980, the decision was made. With the loving support of my husband, Dick, I followed my new career path of motherhood. I was given that opportunity because Dick decided to pursue his own business in order to support his growing family. And to this day, I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity and have NEVER regretted it! Not one bit! God gave me three more little blessings after Dina - Dara, David and Deborah. They have truly been 5 of the greatest joys of my life. I am ever so thankful for them.

So needless to say, as I begin my blogging career, I want dedicate this article to Dina and to thank her for giving me the inspiration to begin putting my thoughts on paper for others to read. Dina, you've become a beautiful woman. And as I observe you in your home, you are truly a "happy mother of children." Happy Birthday, Dina! You are deeply loved!

And today, 29 years later after inspiration from my daughter Dina, I am starting my very own blog. And I thought I was supposed to be their teacher; was I ever wrong. All of my children have taught me much!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Mom, you were the one who gifted each of your children with the ability to write and express their thoughts into words. You were the one who faithfully documented in pictures EVERY event of our lives, cherished memories we will have for the rest of our lives. YOU are the teacher and we are but mere unfoldings of your investment and example. I'm so glad you have this blog, where I can check in and see what is going on in your life and your heart.

xo Dina